Monday, October 14, 2013

Virtual Lost & Found


I talked to a mom today who mentioned she was missing a few items her girls had worn to school, which made me think about the lost and found. Typically overflowing, the lost and found really hits its stride in winter, when all the kids come in with gloves and hats and scarves, etc.

So, first and most important: LABEL EVERYTHING.  If every child comes to school wearing or carrying twelve items, (shirt, pants, undies, jacket, socks, shoes, hat, scarf, gloves), that means there are 1200+ items in motion at Sunflower Montessori every day. Kids drop things on the playground, bury 'em in the sandbox, toss 'em in the bushes, etc., etc. Speaking only of my own children, of course, they are miniature crazy people. By labeling everything, you have a 99% greater chance of seeing it again.*

Now that we're all committed to labeling, let's work on identifying the things that are already in the lost and found. I dumped out all of the lost and found bags this afternoon, sorted the items by size, and took these pictures. If you see something you recognize, it can be found in a bag inside Katie's office. Check with her to claim your items. There wasn't a name to be found on any of these items.


ACCESSORIES


HATS, SWIM TRUNKS, SWIM GOGGLES


TWO NEW, EMPTY BACKPACKS


LOVEYS


SO MANY SOCKS, Y'ALL, I CAN'T EVEN.


12 AND 18 MONTHS



24 MONTHS, 2T


3T


4T


5T AND LARGER



If you're missing something that you don't see pictured above, feel free to leave a note in the comments. Let's all take a look around our houses, cars, etc and maybe we'll find some extra items that need to be returned to school / another family. 

Hope this helps-
Brooke


* I am totally making up this statistic. 


7 comments:

  1. I've been missing a 3T green fleece REI vest with "Burbach" on the inside for a year now. It still haunts me. If anyone found it and returned it, I would squee with joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am missing a 3T pink hooded zip-up sweatshirt that says Friday Harbor Washington on it in white. It was only worn once before it was lost :( It doesn't have a name on the inside. I too, would squee with joy if this were found and returned. Thank you, Brooke, for starting the Virtual Lost and Found!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin - Ruby's sweatshirt has been found. Check with Miss Jena - she'll have it waiting for you at pick-up today. Virtual lost and found RULES!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lyell is missing a 3T SF Giants grey hoodie and a very plain boring (but useful!) brown hoodie. We are huge Giants fans and this loss has been quite the bummer around here. We appreciate it's safe return:). We have a patterned grey hoodie that keeps making it into Lyell's bag at the end of each day despite me washing it and sending it back (no name on it). LOVE this lost and found spot! Thanks Brooke!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maile - I am almost positive I saw the brown hoodie you're talking about - there were a few items in the lost and found that I found a name on after closer inspection, and I remember seeing Lyell's name on one. I gave everything that had a name on it to Jena right after I took the pictures, so maybe look on his hook again or ask Jena?

      Delete
    2. GOT IT! YEAH! Thanks! This is awesome!

      Delete
  5. Yup, I see two of Ella's gloves (different ones from two different pairs) and one of her shirts. I'd wager to say some of those socks are hers as well. One thing that is missing that I didn't see is a green Sunflower Outdoor & Bike Shop from Lawrence, Kansas t-shirt :( It's 2T if anyone may have it.

    ReplyDelete